Do you have a business idea that could change the way Hong Kong people live, work and communicate? Tell us about it to win!
As the world’s freest economy, Hong Kong is a leading international business, financial and innovation hub. It is the gateway to China and remains a choice location for U.S. companies to oversee and manage their regional operations. From technology and finance to wine and arts, Hong Kong represents a great opportunity for U.S. businesses that are looking to expand into Asia.
Got a business idea that could change the way Hong Kong citizens work and communicate? Or a product that could improve the way people live in Hong Kong? We want to hear from you! Tell us about your business idea or product and why it would be successful in Hong Kong for a chance to win a week-long, all-expenses paid trip to Hong Kong.
Official Competition Rules: No purchase or payment necessary to enter or to win. A purchase will not improve your chances of winning. All federal, state, local, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.
How do I enter?
To enter the Hong Kong – Young Entrepreneur Competition (“Contest”) , you must create a 3-minute video or a one page, 2,000-word parallax website to give us your business pitch. Your submission should include the following (each an “Entry”):
Your background, biographical and contact information, and what you find most interesting about Hong Kong.
Your product or service and your source of revenue.
How your business would benefit Hong Kong or why it would be successful there.
The Contest commences on December 20, 2016 and all entries are due by March 31, 2017. The winners will be announced in May 2017.
How do I win?
Your Entry will be reviewed by a panel of five judges, comprised of Hong Kong government officials and U.S. business/community leaders, who will review and rank your Entry based on the following equally weighted criteria:
Don’t just record yourself reading your business plan or send us large blocks of texts on a web page. Use images, music or graphics to help illustrate your plan.
Participants will be judged on how convincing your submission is. In other words, do we believe that your business would actually be successful in Hong Kong? Demonstrate your understanding of the Hong Kong culture, economic strengths or current events.
Participants must comply with all Contest criteria and guidelines in order to be considered.
In the case of a tie, the Entry which scores the highest in the Creativity category will be deemed the winner.
What do I win?
Five Entrants will win a weeklong, all-expenses paid trip to Hong Kong (the “Prize”). Each winner will receive round-trip, economy airfare for one (1) person from a major international airport near the winner’s residence to Hong Kong, six (6) nights of hotel accommodations for one (1) person. Winners will also have the opportunity to meet and interact with some of Hong Kong’s government officials and business leaders to be selected in HKETO’s sole discretion and experience first-hand the rich culture that Hong Kong has to offer.
The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV“) of the Prize will be two thousand five hundred US dollars (US$ $2,500). The actual value of the Prize may vary depending upon the location of the Prize winner, fares at the time of travel, and the value of services rendered and products provided at the time of the events. Therefore, the value of the Prize awarded may be lower or higher at the time it is fulfilled. Any difference between the actual value and the ARV of the Prize will not be awarded.
Each winner must travel on the dates as specified by HKETO. If a winner cannot travel on such dates, he/she may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected, based on the criteria above, if time permits. Each winner must arrange travel with HKETO as soon as possible but no less than thirty (30) calendar days in advance of the departure date specified by HKETO.
Travel, accommodations, and event-related restrictions, conditions and limitations may apply and may include, without limitation, scheduling restrictions, and time-based restrictions. Travel arrangements are subject to availability. HKETO shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, transportation companies or any other persons providing any of these services and accommodations necessitated by same or for any cancellations or postponement of any scheduled events. HKETO shall not be liable for any loss or damage to baggage. Except as otherwise explicitly stated above, all meals, taxes, gratuities, insurance, incidentals (including mini-bar and entertainment expenses), phone charges, transportation between the airport and winner’s residence, and other expenses not specifically identified in these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of the winner. Each winner must comply with all hotel check-in requirements, including but not limited to the presentation of a major credit card. All elements of the trip are subject to availability and scheduled activities are subject to change. In the event that any element is not available, then other trip elements will still be offered. Any extra nights’ stay and any additional costs associated with an extended stay are the sole responsibility of winner. Additional restrictions may apply. Each winner must hold valid documentation for travel, and is responsible for his or her own insurance arrangements. Airline tickets and accommodations must be used together. If for any reason any portion of the prize is delayed, cancelled or postponed, or becomes unavailable, HKETO reserves the right, but is not obligated, to cancel or modify the Contest in its discretion and award a substitute prize of approximately equal or greater value.
Am I qualified to enter?
In order to enter and win, you must meet the below qualifications and guidelines:
1. Entrants must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in an accredited four-year university located in one of the states listed below:
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
2. Video submissions can be no longer than three (3) minutes including any introduction or credits. Websites should be no longer than 2,000 words.
3. The video size should be at or under 300 MB for uploads. Original video files must be in .MPEG, .MOV, .AVI, or .WMV format. Video should be shot horizontally.
4. All Entries must be received by 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, March 31, 2017.
5. Entries must be primarily in English.
6. Each Entry must be in keeping with the HKETO’s image and may not be profane, offensive, pornographic, defamatory or inappropriate as determined by HKETO in its sole discretion. HKETO reserves the right to disqualify any Submission it deems to be not in keeping with its image, or profane, offensive, pornographic, defamatory, and/or inappropriate in HKETO’s sole discretion.
7. The person uploading or submitting the Entry will be deemed the entrant (“Entrant”). In the event of a dispute as to who uploaded or submitted the Entry, the Entrant is the one person who owns the email address associated with the Submission. If any group elects to collaborate on a Submission, they are required to designate one person as the Entrant who will be the agent of the group to enter the Contest, agree to the Official Rules, and accept and use the Prize. HKETO, its affiliates, its program partners, and any others involved in the development and/or execution of this Contest are not responsible for any disputes among collaborators related to the Contest.
8. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that infringes upon any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations, or otherwise violates applicable U.S. law. Entries violating this section of the Official Rules may be disqualified.
9. Each Entry must not contain any copyrighted works (including music) other than those owned by the Entrant. Use of unauthorized music or other copyrighted works may result in disqualification of the Entry or alteration of the Entry, in HKETO’s sole discretion.
10. Each Entrant is limited to one (1) Entry.
11. By entering, each Entrant hereby releases and holds harmless HKETO, its program partners, and each of their subsidiaries and affiliates, and any others involved in the development and/or execution of this Contest, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, and employees of the same from any and all claims, demands, losses, injuries, promises, causes of action, and liabilities arising out of this Contest or the Prize, including travel.
12. Entries that do not comply in all material respects with these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited or inappropriate content in HKETO’s sole discretion will be disqualified, not published, and/or not considered for prizes.
13. Participation constitutes each Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and HKETO’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest.
14. Employees of HKETO and members of their immediate families and/or persons living in the same household as such individuals are not eligible to enter the Contest.
Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Official Rules, or the like, may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant from the Contest. HKETO further reserves the right to disqualify any Entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Official Rules, or violates U.S. or applicable state or local law.
1. Each winner will be notified by phone and/or email on or around May 25, 2017 and must show picture identification to claim their prize. HKETO reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
2. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant and the winners waive any and all claims of liability against HKETO and its respective employees and agents, for any personal injury or loss that may occur from the conduct of, or participation in, the Contest, or from the use of any prize. The winners will be required to complete a release and affidavit, which includes a Liability Release and a Publicity Release (except where prohibited) (“Affidavit/Release”) prior to acceptance of any prize. If the winner is a minor in the state of residence he/she will be required to have a parent or guardian complete the release and affidavit as required by applicable law. The Affidavit/Release must be returned within fourteen (14) days of being sent. If a potential winner fails to return such documents within that time, the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected.
3. By claiming a Prize, except where prohibited by law, each winner authorizes the use, without additional compensation, of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including, without limitation, radio broadcasts; newspapers and other publications; television or film releases; slides; videotape; distribution over the Internet; and picture date storage) HKETO may deem appropriate.
1. The conduct of the Contest is governed by the applicable laws of the Unites States of America and any applicable state laws, which take precedence over any rule to the contrary herein. All claims relating in any manner to this Contest or to any Entry must be resolved individually, and not by any form of class action, in the federal or state courts in San Francisco County, California.
2. HKETO is not liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
3. By participating in the Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by the decisions of HKETO personnel. HKETO reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or winner and may refuse to award any prize to a person who is ineligible or has violated any Official Rule, gained unfair advantage in participating in the Contest, or obtained winner status using fraudulent means. HKETO will interpret these Official Rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the Official Rules or the Contest and their decisions concerning such disputes shall be final. If the conduct or outcome of the Contest is affected by human error, any mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of HKETO, HKETO reserves the right to terminate this Contest, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as HKETO deems appropriate. All decisions will be made by HKETO and are final. HKETO may waive any of these Official Rules in its sole discretion.
4. HKETO reserves the right not to award any prizes if none of the entries received meet the stated Contest criteria, in HKETO’s sole discretion.
5. HKETO takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any omissions, acts or damages that may result from the preparing of materials to submit to this Contest. HKETO strongly encourages Entrants to safely conduct their projects and avoid potentially dangerous production situations that put crew, actors, the public or any other persons at risk. HKETO is not responsible for any failure to receive any Entry or any damage to any Entry due to any mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors or malfunctions or any interruption in the Contest website or any Internet communications or access.
6. There is no transfer, substitution, or cash equivalent for Prizes allowed, except at HKETO’s sole discretion. HKETO reserves the right to substitute a prize, or prize element, of approximately equal or greater value (whether in cash or otherwise) if a Prize, or Prize element, cannot be awarded as described for any reason.
7. Other than as provided herein, all federal, state, provincial, local, and other tax liabilities, including but not limited to sales and use taxes, goods and services taxes, excise taxes, income and U.S. withholding taxes, customs, duties, fees and like amounts in connection with a winner’s award, acceptance or use of a prize arising from this Contest will be the sole responsibility of the winner.
Intellectual Property Rights
1. By submitting any Entry, Entrants thereby grant to HKETO and their affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted work (including the video and all aspects and elements thereof) or other information in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the world and for any purpose. In addition to other things, the rights granted to HKETO include, but are not limited to, the right to resize, crop, censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and to otherwise alter or make use of the submitted work.
2. By submitting an Entry, Entrants thereby represent and warrant that the submitted work or information does not and shall not infringe on any copyright, any rights of privacy or publicity of any person, or any other right of any third party, and Entrants affirm they have the right to grant any and all rights and licenses granted to HKETO herein, including but not limited to, all necessary rights under copyright, free and clear of any claims or encumbrances.
3. Entrants acknowledge and agree that HKETO shall have no obligation to post, display or otherwise make publicly available any work submitted by the Entrant, and may, in their sole and unfettered discretion, remove, edit, modify or delete any work that the Entrant submits.
Waiver of Liability and Agreement to Indemnify
By submitting any Entry, each Entrant, its, his, her or their heirs, successors and assigns (“Entrant Parties”) thereby releases, forever discharges and covenants not to make a claim against or sue HKETO, the Contest, and their parents, subsidiaries and affiliates, licensees, employees, officers, directors, representatives, successors and assigns (“Sponsor Parties”), of and from all manner of action or actions, cause or causes of action, at law or in equity, suits, claims, demands, liability, loss, cost or expense, of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown, fixed or contingent, which Entrant Parties may have or hereafter have against the Sponsor Parties by reason of any injuries or damages Entrant Parties may sustain, whether to Entrant Parties’ person, property, reputation, or otherwise, as a result of, incident to, or related in any way to the Entry, the Contest, the Prize, or the use, incorporation or exploitation of the Entry for any purpose described herein. Entrant Parties individually and collectively waive and forego the right to seek injunctive relief against anyone relating in any way to the Entry, the Contest, or the use, incorporation, or exploitation of the materials for any purpose described herein. Entrant Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor Parties from and against any liabilities, losses, claims, demands, costs (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees) and expenses arising in connection with any breach or alleged breach by me of any representation made in the entry or by virtue of submitting the Entry.
To Receive Winners’ Name or Official Rules
The Winners will be posted on the Contest website no later than June 15, 2017. For a winners list, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope postmarked and to be received by March 31, 2017 to 130 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94104.